- Col. John Carter was b. 1620, in England, the son of Hon. William Carter, of “Casstown,” Hereford Co., and the Middle Temple, England.
- Immigrated to Virginia in 1635 at age 22 on ship Safety
- First settled in Upper Norfolk County (later became Nansemond County)
- Traveled several times between England and Virginia in trade
- Served seven terms in House of Burgesses
- Upper Norfolk County 1641/42; 1642/43
- Nansemond County 1649
- Lancaster County 1654-1655; 1657/58-1658; 1658/59; 1659/60
- Served on Governor’s Council (1657 and ca. 1664-1667)
- Patented 6,160 acres of land in Lancaster County between 1642-1665
- In 1652-53 moved to Lancaster County and established Corotoman plantation on Rappahannock River between Carter’s Creek and Corotoman River
- Served as Justice, Lancaster County (1653-1669)
- Served as Vestryman, Christ Church Parish (ca. 1661-1669/70)
- Served as undertaker, or builder, of first Christ Church, a frame structure completed in July 1670 six months after his death d. 1669, at “Corotoman,” Lancaster Co., Va.; he came to the Colony in 1649, and located in lower Norfolk, which he represented as Burgess, 1649; he later removed to Lancaster Co., where he built the ancestral home of “Corotoman.” He served as a Burgess from Lancaster, 1653-58, and was an influential member of the King’s Council, 1658-59; Commander against the Rappahannock Indians, 1654; Col. of Lancaster, 1656; liberal supporter of the Established Church, he gave the first Church which stood on the land where Christ Church was later built, and was a Vestryman.